Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday, America

OK, so I'm a creature of the ocean. Really I have no allegiance to a "country" per se. However, I have this really strong connection to the United States.

It's shores are beautiful and bountiful (yes, even New Jersey).

While other countries allow for sharks to be dragged on board their ships to be stripped of their fins and dumped back into the ocean to die, the U.S. is actually making moves to protect sharks - like the decision this week to protect hammerheads. (See the story: http://on.flatoday.com/1lDwjw1 - thanks to @OCEARCH for tweeting the link)

All sharks should be protected - but especially hammerheads. As I've explained on Twitter, we don't call them hammerheads because of the shape of their heads. We call them hammerheads because, quite frankly, they are as dumb as a bag of hammers.

But I'm getting away from my point...

My point is that while you're all celebrating your independence, I, too, am celebrating a country that seems to be getting a better understanding of its role in protecting the oceans. Maybe you #SillyHumans aren't so silly after all.

And to show you my appreciation, here's a little number written by my namesake, Katharine Bates. Truly beautiful "From Sea to Shining Sea"

I know most of you probably appreciate the Ray Charles version better... but I figured if there's a #SillyHuman who is almost as much of a diva as I am, why not show her some love. :)



Happy Birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment